With its piles of dirty snow and leafless trees, the aesthetics of winter can make you miss the warmer months. However, if you plant an amaryllis bulb, you can have a little bit of springtime growing right on your windowsill!
An amaryllis is a flowering plant that grows out of a bulb. Each bulb grows two rows of star-shaped, green leaves, and one or two stems with between 2-12 red, funnel-shaped flowers.
They typically bloom in January, so planting amaryllises is a great way to spruce up your home during the chilly months and begin the year with a cheerful heart. Plus, if you follow our steps for taking care of your bulb, you will be able to recycle the same plant year after year and enjoy its blooms every winter.
How to Grow an Amaryllis
When you’re ready to start growing your amaryllis, you just need to keep the following things in mind:
- Make sure you find a sunny, warm, indoor home for your plant.
- Water your amaryllis on a regular weekly basis. The soil should remain moist.
- Turn the pot occasionally, to ensure that the stem stays straight, rather than falling over as it grows.
- Look for a bloom after 6-8 weeks.
Caring for Your Amaryllis After It Blooms
Once your plant blooms, there are a few steps you need to keep in mind in order to care for it and keep it blooming years after years.
- After the flower buds have opened, withered, and bloomed, it’s time to trim the stem. Use a sharp knife to cut the stalk so it’s about 2 inches above the bulb. Make sure you keep the leaves attached. They will continue to grow and are needed to nourish your plant.
- As the weather starts to warm up, move your amaryllis, still in the pot, to an outdoor location where it will be exposed to filtered sunlight.
- Water your flower regularly until September, when you will prune the leaves and bring the pot inside. In a cool dark place, like a closet or basement, your flower will go into a dormant period.
- Once December arrives, start watering your amaryllis so the soil is always moist. Move it to a sunny window and restart the process!
Praise for Amaryllis
This year we gifted amaryllis plants for the holidays. Not only do they make a great gift, but they continue to deliver year after year.
Patti, our customer, sent us a heartfelt note saying, “What a lovely surprise to find the gift you left on my doorstep last week. I am excited to see the amaryllis bloom. How very thoughtful. Thank you and Merry Christmas.” We are so excited to hear and see your amaryllis bloom!