As the weather begins to turn and the colors begin to show their range of autumn colors, it is time to start thinking about Spring! Yep, Fall is actually a wonderful time to add, completely redo, or begin a beautiful garden.
What to Plant in the Fall
Fall planting is easier than you think. In fact, as long as you have a spare ten minutes, you can begin planning your colorful garden. There are many flowers and plants that begin their process for growth in October and November. Here are a few of our favorites!
- Fall Bulbs – Tulips, daffodils, irises, crocuses, and hyacinths. These bulbs need the cold of winter to bloom beautifully in the spring.
- Perennials – Many perennial plants can be planted in the fall, giving them a head start for the following growing season. Some that we love are hostas, peonies, and daylilies.
- Ornamental Grasses – Fall is an excellent time to plant ornamental grasses, which can add texture and interest to your landscape. Naturescapes specializes in these types of grasses and helps you find the right ones for your area – and for your area’s pollinators!
- Trees and Shrubs – Late fall is a great time to plant trees and shrubs. Their root systems can establish well before the stress of the summer heat. Consider options like maples, oaks, and dogwoods.
- Ground Covers – Creeping juniper, sedum, or ajuga can be planted in the fall to protect the soil and provide beauty and natural landscaping that lasts the year.
See below for some of our favorite fall-planted landscapes!
Why Planting in the Fall is Beneficial
As the air cools and the season turns from summer to fall, most plants’ top growth (leaves and stems) stop growing or even lose their leaves. The soil, however, stays warmer for much longer which is favorable for root development. So as the top part of the plant is more dormant, the roots are actively growing.
The fall gardener can take advantage of this root development by adding mycorrhiza to the soil when planting. This addition is a workhorse for the soil. It further stimulates root growth and is available in convenient powder form at most garden centers.
Actually, it’s an excellent addition any time you’re planting!
Start Your Fall Landscape Today with the Experts at Naturescapes
The plants planted in the fall benefit from the more frequent autumn rains and actually have a head start on material put in the next spring. If you are ready to design your beautiful landscape – let us help you during every season. Schedule a free consultation today and get back out in your garden this fall and enjoy the springtime even more.